Text Size
Congregations Church of the Brethren Ohio Stony Creek (Logan Co.), (1827- )
Stony Creek / Logan County

the logan brethren church.

In the early part of the present century a few families, some of whom were members of the Brethren church, moved into the vast wilderness of what is now Logan county, Ohio.  They came from Virginia by way of the Miami valley, and like most of the pioneer settlers of our county, they came here that they might provide for themselves homes in its fertile bounds.  At first the worshipped their God as best they could in their private devotion, but after a while, their numbers increasing by immigration, they felt the need of a more decided effort for the fostering of the principles for which they contended, and about the year 1827 they were organized as the Logan Brethren church with Elder Abram Miller [sic Abraham] as bishop and Bro. Abraham Frantz as deacon.  In 1828, or about that time, Bro Jacob Moomam [sic Moomaw], a minister in the second degree moved into the bounds of the church from Clark county, thus giving them an English minister.  Elder Miller being German.

Not long after, about 1835, Bro. Jacob Crist, a deacon, moved in and was chosen to the ministry.  Brother Martin Garber was also chosen deacon at this time.  Brother Andrew Bazard [sic Buzzard] was also chosen to the deacon's office about this time.  In 1840, brethren Miller, Moomaw and Crist all moved away, leaving the church without a resident minister for several years.

During this time meetings were held by ministers from adjoining counties, every six weeks.  In May, 1846, the church feeling the need of better service, an election was held for two ministers, one English and one German, which resulted in Brother Jacob Miller (father of Abednego Miller) being chosen as English, and Brother Abraham Frantz as German minister.  At this time Joseph Culp was chosen to the deacon's office.  About 1848, brethren Frantz and Miller were advanced to the full ministry.  Between the years of 1857-'59 Brother Frantz was ordained to the bishopric and brethren John Detrick and Moses King chosen to the office of deacon.

Up to this time the members had been without a permanent house of worship, using the home of the brethren and friends, and in some cases school-houses were used, in which to hold service.  It was not unusual in these times for brethren and their wives to walk from ten to twelve miles to attend “preaching.”  But about 1859 a house of worship was built on the plat of ground where the present church now stands.  In 1860 Brother Jacob Frantz was chosen deacon.  In 1862 Jacob Miller was ordained bishop, Brother Joseph Kauffman chosen to the ministry and Brother David Culp chosen deacon.  On August 5, 1865, Brother Jacob Frantz was chosen to the ministry.  In 1866 Brethren Henry Garber, minister and Joseph Garber, deacon, moved into the congregation.  In 1867, Brother Joseph Kauffman was ordained to the bishopric, and Bro. J. L. Frantz advanced to full ministry, Brother Michael Swonger chosen to the ministry and Philip Detrick to the deacon's office.  In 1870 Brother Jonathan Yoder was chosen to the ministry and Samuel Shawver to the deacon's office.  In 1875, Brother William Bean, a deacon, moved into the congregation and in 1876 Thomas Rhodecker [sic Rodecker], a minister, was received in like manner.  October 13, 1878, Brother Abednego Miller was chosen to the ministry and Benjamin Detweiler deacon.  In 1879 Jacob Frantz and Michael Swonger were ordained as bishops.  June 12, 1880, Thomas Rhodecker was advanced to the full ministry.  October 22, 1881, Abednego Miller was advanced to the full ministry, William Bean elected to that office and Joseph Kaylor chosen deacon.  Brother Bean was advanced to the full ministry in 1884.

1st paragraph.

2nd paragraph.

3rd paragraph

D. O. Brumbaugh.

The Christian Family Companion,
Vol. IV, No. 44, p. 482, Nov. 10, 1868.

Login Form



Statistics

Members : 18
Content : 14545
Web Links : 6
Content View Hits : 134845

Who's Online

We have 110 guests online